Tuesday 9 March 2010

More silk purses.

More examples of little purses made after our silk paper workshop. I'll add more as I get them.










These two bags were embroidered and finished by hand and machine.



Marilyn's purse, made on the day of the workshop


                          


Purses finished at the informal meeting last week. I'll have more pictures of them soon, hopefully with some names.

I travelled up to Glasgow last week, for the Creative Stitches show. It's not the biggest, but that meant there was time to get around all the stalls and exhibitions, without rushing. This year there was plenty to see, and a chance to talk to designers and makers, such as Isobel Hall, Margaret Beal, and Kim Thittichai. I bought Margaret Beal's book, and am looking forward to experimenting more with soldering iron and heat gun.


If anyone is interested, look at http://www.nationalneedleworkarchive.org.uk/, for details of a Tea-cosy competition!


Our next meeting is on 18th March, when we will be treated to a talk about Theatre costumes, and then we will have a brief introduction to the embellishing machine. See you there!

3 comments:

  1. Dear Lesley,

    I'm from BBC Radio Cumbria. I run a feature on the Ian Timms Show called Little Cumbria...

    Each week I ask three different people to keep a dairy for five consecutive days, to tell the story of their lives.

    Each diary entry needs to be 130 words, which is roughly 45 seconds in length.

    Once the diary is written, we then arrange a time to record it... And then I mix the three different diaries together with a narrator and theme music, and make a mini Cumbrian soap.

    It runs Monday to Friday at 1745, and is now entering it's 35th week.

    It's a bit of fun, and works really well, and for it to last I want to keep bringing new voices to the feature.

    I search local blogs because it is a great place to find people who enjoy being in the spotlight, and have talent for writing.

    Would you willing to have a bash?

    Here are my contact details... I look forward to hearing from you,

    Steven

    Steven Greaves | BBC Radio Cumbria
    Annetwell Street, Carlisle, Cumbria, CA3 8BB
    tel: 01228 592444
    e-mail: steven.greaves@bbc.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely interesting blog. You seem to have covered lots of techniques. I am so envious of the environment you work in. Can I draw your attention to the Preston Embroiderers' Guild blog? http://prestonembroiderersguild.blogspot.com/
    Its only 2 posts deep so far.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Life is full of coincidences! I have been looking at the Preston Blog, and do intend to add a link. I think I started, but my broadband link here in St Bees is frustrating, to say the least, and I am often forced to rush out of the room before I do damage to the computer

    Also your own blog, which has inspired me a lot!

    Although I haven't added it as a link on this blog yet, it is a favourite on my toolbar, and I look at it often. I am going to add it to our links,I think, because we have other members I know who would love it.

    ReplyDelete