Saturday 27 March 2010

Fashion, Embroidery and Stitch/Sewing for Pleasure

Like many others, I was disappointed that what used to be the 'Madeira' Show would not be in Harrogate this year, but very keen to go to its replacement at The NEC. There was more than a little doubt about whether this was a good idea, mainly when I was preparing to catch the 6.30 AM! train from Whitehaven on Thursday. After that brutal start, the journey was very easy, and I was in the show by 11.30. I was there on two days, and so had time for a good look round, and managed to fit in two workshops as well as talking to various designers and makers on Friday morning, before the crowds arrived.

I really enjoyed the show, and though it was busy, felt that there was plenty of space to get around. All the usual suppliers were there, of course, but I especially enjoyed seeing inspirational work from groups and individuals, many of them incredibly generous with their time and advice. No pictures, sadly, because many of the designers, understandably, don't allow photographs. I did get contact and website details, and books, of course!

 The workshops I took part in were taught by Pauline Verrinder from Fibre Fusion, whose display was stunning, and I felt on Thursday that if I saw nothing else, the journey would have been worth while. But, I did see plenty of other things that made my mouth water, and I came back with all kinds of goodies, and books, but also ideas to develop back at home.

I have added a website to our list. Linda and Laura Kemshall run ‘Design Matters TV’, online workshops for textiles, which, as their work is lovely, must be worth looking at. One of the introductory videos shows needlefelted and embroidered brooches, and I know there are some of us who'd be interested. However, my broadband connection is so volatile that I haven’t been able to watch more than a few seconds of it, yet. You may have more luck. http://www.lindakemshall.com/

Did anyone else get to the show? What did you think of it?

3 comments:

  1. I am so envious but glad that you had a good time! :o)
    The Harrogate show was one of the only shows I ever get to and it was just full of good stuff to inspire and to buy!
    Wish we could have a big show somewhere in Cumbria.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, we are deprived! But we can look forward to Wollfest

    ReplyDelete
  3. That should say, Woolfest.

    ReplyDelete