Tuesday 2 April 2013

Fashion, Embroidery and Stitch 2013



Nec March 2013
 
I was full of trepidation as I set out this year, for the Fashion, Embroidery and Stitch Show at The NEC. The weather was forecast to  be very wintry, with disruptive snow, and there was a voice in my head telling me to stay at home in the warm!
 
My heart won, and very early on the Thursday I set off, by train. Though the Midlands were badly hit, including some parts of Birmingham, I have to say that my two-day trip was not disrupted at all, apart from minor delays on the last leg of the journey home from Carlisle. on the Friday.
 
I was so glad I did go; there were, as always, fascinating displays, like the lace-makers of Calais. Very intricate  lace, still being produced on old and technically complex machines, and these days used in innovative ways.


 
 
The Postcards...... en masse, look impressive as they make their way around the country....
 
 
 
Can you spot ours? (Third in from the right)
 
 

 
 
Costumes from productions of the novels of Jane Austin.
 

 
 I always admire the work of West Country Embroiderers, and their display this year was all in ruby red. It took me a while to latch on to the group's  40-years old birthday theme!


 
 
 
'Glimpses of Summer' 
(Madeira competition) 
 
 
There was much very impressive work from  the Quilters' Guild, including this , inspired by mountains, as described below.........(click on the picture to see better)


 
This is Part One. More  next time.....
 


1 comment:

  1. Couldn't make it, some thank you for showing us round.
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete